The Folklore Society
The Folklore Society President's Prize
- The Folklore Society has established an annual award, entitled The President's Prize.
- The purpose of the Prize is to encourage the academic study of Folklore and Folkloristics in universities and other institutions of higher and further education in the British Isles and Republic of Ireland.
- The Prize is open to all students formally registered and enrolled in a relevant course of study at one of the institutions specified in 2. above or in other academic institutions recognised by the Society.
- Entries for the Prize will be by formal nomination by the appropriate officer(s) of the institution concerned. Nominations must be received on or before 30 September each year and must include:
- A completed nomination form.*
- Proof of registration/enrolment in course(s) at the institution during the academic year ending 30 September in the year concerned.
- A representative sample of the nominee's unpublished academic work on Folklore topics, including that judged particularly meritorious by the nominator. This should normally include at least one substantial piece of original work (e.g. extended essay, report, project, thesis etc.). Four copies of the work must be submitted. Submissions should be in good clear English in typescript or word processed, on A4 paper printed on one side only. Candidates should keep a copy. Submissions will not be returned.
- A letter of support and/or recommendation signed by the nominator and/or other appropriate officer of the institution.
- The Prize will take the form of a Certificate of Merit issued by the Folklore Society, and £100.
- The Prize will be adjudicated by three judges appointed by the Committee of the Folklore Society, at least one of whom shall be the President or Vice-President.
- The decision of the judges is final and the Folklore Society reserves the right not to award the Prize if, in the opinion of the judges, the work submitted on behalf of the nominees fails to reach the standard required.
- Members of the Committee of the Folklore Society are not eligible for nomination.
- The Society's Committee may amend these Rules as it sees fit in future years.
Please address all correspondence, applications, nominations and submissions to:
The Folklore Society President's Prize, Warburg Institute, Woburn Square, London WC1H 0AB.